NEW YORK, NY (February 21, 2018) – Leading business media brand Fast Company today announced its annual ranking of the Most Innovative Companies for 2018, honoring leading enterprises and rising newcomers that exemplify the best in business and innovation. Nashville-based Big Machine Label Group has made the prestigious list for a second time in the Music Sector and is heralded alongside companies on the overall list such as Apple, Netflix, Square, Washington Post Company, Amazon and Spotify.
“This year’s MIC list is an inspiring and insightful window into how many companies have embraced innovation and are working to make meaningful change,” said Fast Company deputy editor David Lidsky, who oversaw the issue with senior editor Amy Farley.
As the No.1 independent record label in the world based on sales and airplay, BMLG is led by President, CEO and Founder Scott Borchetta. Fast Company previously deemed Borchetta the “king of music row” as one of the “Most Creative People” for his dynamic business ventures and leadership style.
BMLG’s monumental achievements in 2017 included:
- Release of superstar Taylor Swift’s reputation album, making her the only artist to achieve four million-selling first weeks in the history of Nielsen music
- Florida Georgia Line showed their massive appeal with two pop crossover hits and a blockbuster, sold-out stadium tour
- Superstar Thomas Rhett earned the Academy of Country Music’s Male Vocalist of the Year trophy and released the GRAMMY®-nominated LIFE CHANGES album
- Brantley Gilbert became one of only two Country artists to appear in an Apple Music TV spot
- Brett Young was one of the only debut Country artists to have a MULTI-PLATINUM single with “In Case You Didn’t Know”
- Known for her “Queen of Country” status, Reba McEntire won a GRAMMY® Award with her first Gospel album, which topped both the Country and Christian charts
- Newcomer Carly Pearce’s breakout No.1 ballad “Every Little Thing” enlisted her as the highest charting solo female debut since July 2015, joining an elite group of only three women to accomplish this feat in the past 12 years
- The label continued to prove its ability to successfully develop new artists with the No.1 achievements with Carly Pearce and Midland
- Aligned with fashion mogul John Varvatos on a new label venture that will sign Rock talent
Earlier this year Borchetta debuted his newly created TV show “The Launch” in association with Randy Lennox and Bell Media. Filmed in Toronto, the first season of the music competition show saw ratings and music sales success. Serving as Executive Producer and Mentor on the show, Borchetta was joined each week by superstars such as Shania Twain, Jennifer Nettles, Nikki Sixx, Boy George and mega producers such as Ryan Tedder, Dann Huff and busbee.
Most Innovative Companies is Fast Company’s signature franchise and one of its most highly-anticipated editorial efforts of the year. It provides both a snapshot and a road map for the future of innovation across the most dynamic sectors of the economy. The notable list is curated by Fast Company editors, reporters and contributors who surveyed thousands of companies.
Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies issue (March-April 2018) is now available online at www.fastcompany.com/MIC, as well as in app form via iTunes and on newsstands beginning February 27.
Fast Company is the world’s leading progressive business media brand, with a unique editorial focus on innovation in technology, ethical economics, leadership, and design. Headquartered in New York City, Fast Company is published by Mansueto Ventures LLC, one of the U.S.’s leading media companies.